I trust you have had a wonderful Christmas and New Year break and are ready to take on whatever 2008 may bring your way! This is just a quick email about key things to note for 2008 at Croydon Chess:
Its membership renewal time again! I've attached a renewal form in case some of you wish to post a cheque rather than pay at the club (send cheque to: Croydon Chess, 36 The Gateway, Lilydale VIC 3140). Membership prices for 2008 are as follows:
- $60 for adults
- $40 for juniors, students and concession card holders
- $20 for 2nd junior/student in same family
- $0 for 3rd and subsequent junior/student in same family
Junior Coaching Program
The junior coaching program is under way again (commenced last week). It was great to see so many kids in attendance. Just a reminder that junior coaching is available for just the cost of a gold coin donation each week to the club, which is just about the best deal you'll get anywhere in Australia.
Our 2008 calendar is always kept up to date on the website (www.croydonchess.com) along with any announcements. Suggest you bookmark the page and check it often for the latest news. We also publish all rated games played at the club in a searchable database at the website and there is a viewer that allows you to click through the moves in your web browser. This is a great way of researching your next opponent!
We are always in need of a helping hand! If you're able to help, even just on an infrequent basis, please speak to one of the committee members. Many hands make for light work. Your 5 or 10 minute contribution can make all the difference! Some of the jobs that need doing on a regular basis include:
- help with room setup before the junior session (arrange tables, chairs, boards, pieces and clocks)
- help with room packup after the senior session (reverse of above)
- registration/sign-in/sign-out desk monitor (ensure all children sign in/out, hand out brochures, chat to visitors)
- drinks monitor (assist children to purchase a soft drink, keep our fridge stocked once every couple of weeks)
At the recent AGM we said fairwell to some valued members of the committee/club who have moved to the inner city (Peter Braham and Mike Smith). We now welcome some new committee members who are parents of junior members, which is a first for us, plus we have a new president! The 2008 committee is:
- President: Richard Goldsmith
- Vice-President: Douglas Stones
- Treasurer: Stephen Frost
- Secretary: Tony Waller
- General Member: Pearl Yung
- General Member: Wayne Young
We will continue to meet upstairs at LJ Hooker Real Estate (64 Brice Avenue, Mooroolbark) until further notice. Council has begun work at the RSL in Croydon to extend and improve that venue. We are hopeful that in due course we will be able to negotiate a long-term arrangement with both council and the RSL which will see us move there some time during the year.